Metabolism is strongly linked to the metabolic rate or the number of calories you burn. The higher it is, the more calories you burn and the easier it is to lose weight, maintain it and have more energy.
Metabolism is determined by genetic factors, but also by age. This is why some people can eat very much without gaining weight, whereas others struggle to stay lean or don’t loose much weight despite their weight loss efforts.
Easy ways to accelerate metabolism:
1. Protein-rich foods – proteins temporarily increase the metabolic rate (by 15-30%, according to one study). There are 2 sources of proteins: animal (such as chicken, beef, turkey, eggs, dairies) and vegetable proteins (legumes, avocado, nuts). Protein-rich diets also prevent a drop in metabolism during weight loss by helping your body maintain its muscle mass. Protein may also keep you fuller for longer, which can prevent overeating.
Legumes such as lentils, beans, peas are sources of quality vegetable proteins that can also help you lose weight.
2. Spices and condiments – accelerate metabolism and increase the number of calories you burn. Chilli peppers can help you burn approximately 50 calories per day. Ginger, cayenne pepper are also efficient in accelerating metabolism.
3. Coffee – people who drink coffee burn on average 100 calories less than those who don’t. In one study, coffee increased fat burning by 29% for lean women, while the benefit for obese women was at only 10%.
4. Tea – green tea in particular is very popular in weight loss diets. It accelerates metabolism and fat burning by 10-17% and helps lose up to 100 calories per day.
5. Cacao – may also have metabolic-boosting properties, according to some early evidence. However, more research is needed to support this fact.
6. Healthy snacks – they make excellent meals on the go, so keep them handy (in your bag, on your desk, in your car). This way, you can keep you energy levels high while making healthy choices (bananas, different types of nuts, chia bars, protein bars).
7. Water – only 500 ml of water can temporarily boost metabolism by 25-30% and the effect lasts for 60-90 minutes.
8. Physical activity – to keep your metabolism alert, you need to have an active lifestyle. Include 30-60 minutes of physical activity to your daily routine. A high-intensity workout is ideal – one study assessed the results of 12 weeks of aerobic exercises, practiced 20 minutes a day, 3 times per week. Exercisers experienced a significant weight loss of 1.5 kg and a significant reduction in total fat mass of 2 kg, while their aerobic power increased by 15%, according to one study.
9. Good night sleep and reduced overall stress – both the lack of sleep (less that 7-9 hours per night) and stress were associated with weight gain, as we tend to eat more to compensate the loss of energy.
Combining these metabolism boosting and weight loss strategies is ideal, as they act like compound interest, producing bigger effects when they work together as part of a plan.
Finally, this video wraps up the article and highlights the 9 Easy-Ways to Boost Your Metabolism! Check it out!
Studies and research:
For more tips related to a healthy weight loss, also check the following posts:
3 Fat Burning Recipes You Should Add on a Weight Loss Diet
3 Simple Salads Perfect for Spring and Summer
3 thoughts on “9 Easy Ways to Boost Metabolism (as Backed by Science)”
Pingback: Why Are You Not Losing Weight? | The Diet of the Common Sense
Pingback: 3 Fat Burning Recipes You Should Add on A Weight Loss Diet | The Diet of the Common Sense
Pingback: How to Shift Your Mindset for Better Weight Loss | The Diet of the Common Sense